The planning for any online marketing campaign, or even for any website, begins with keyword analysis. Before you can assess the viability of a targeted marketplace, you’ll need to indentify what the demand and the competition look like.
Great demand with lots of competition is usually a bad situation. The same goes for a market with little demand, since the amount of competition is obviously a moot point. What you’e basically looking for is high demand with manageable competition.
There are some terrific tools on the market that help you sort out this situation. Here are a few potential options. Except for Google’s offering, most require some investment. However, having the right resource to assess your market and where you should spend your ad dollars can be crucial to the success of your business.
- Google Keyword Tool – just search for “keyword tool” in Google and you’ll have complete access to one the best free resources available.
- Wordtracker – popular tool with a free trial.
- Wordstream – offers a keyword research tool suite for use in pay-per-click marketing and search engine optimization initiatives.
- Keyword Spy – build a profitable list of keywords using your competitors’ keywords and by accessing a massive database of related and similar terms and phrases.
- Market Samurai – this is the keyword tool that I use. Market Samurai provides a simple interface with lots of useful research and search capabilities to quickly identify potential markets and keywords to attack and those to stay away from.